Toyota to Start Mass Production of EV in China by 2019
Toyota Motor Corp is likely to begin mass production of electric vehicles (EVs) in China as early as 2019, the Asahi daily reported on Saturday.
Image used for representational purpose. (Image: Reuters)
Toyota Motor Corp is likely to begin mass production of electric vehicles (EVs) in China as early as 2019, the Asahi daily reported on Saturday. The model will be based on the C-HR sport utility vehicle and manufactured for Chinese market only, the report said without citing sources.
The pace of production is to be decided after taking into account the regulations and the subsidies, the report said, adding that annual output could start with more than several thousand units. Toyota currently manufactures successful EVs like the Prius.
Toyota spokesman Ryo Sakai said: "We are going to introduce EVs in China with a few years. However, we don't talk about any future product plans."
Keen to combat air pollution, China is planning to set goals for electric and plug-in hybrid cars to make up at least a fifth of Chinese auto sales by 2025, with a staggered system of quotas beginning in 2018.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Shah Rukh Khan to Announce Two Films on His 54th Birthday?
- Shraddha Kapoor Left in Tears After Hearing Her Brother Siddhant Sing
- Puma Has an Interactive Store Where You Can Also Get Your New Shoes Customized
- 'Down to Earth': Justin Bieber Fell Off a Unicycle and Internet Had a Great Laugh
- Watch: Ducklings Enjoy Makeshift Water Slide Leaving Netizens Amused