Another Early Exit: PV Sindhu Bows Out of China Open
PV Sindhu lost to Pai Yu Po in the first round of the China Open in a keenly-contested match.
PV Sindhu (Photo: BAI)
Fuzhou: World Champion PV Sindhu suffered a shock defeat to lower-ranked Pai Yu Po of Taiwan in the opening round to be ousted from the USD 700,000 China Open here on Tuesday.
World No.6 Sindhu, who made early exits in China, Korea and Denmark, lost 13-21 21-18 19-21 to world No.42 Pai in a 74-minute women's singles match here.
Sindhu lost the first game rather easily without giving any fight to her lower ranked opponent. However, she came back strongly in the second game and played some powerful shots to take the match to the decider.
In the final game, Indian shuttler was trailing at the mid-break and she tried to reduce the deficit but eventually lost the final game 19-21.
However, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa, ranked 30th, beat Canada's Joshua Hurlburt-Yu and Josephine Wu 21-19 21-19 to make a positive start in the mixed doubles competition.
In men's singles, HS Prannoy, who has recently recovered from dengue, faltered in the opening round, losing 17-21 18-21 to Denmark's Rasmus Gemke.
(With inputs from Agencies)
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- WhatsApp Beta Tests Letting You Sign in on Multiple Devices; No Dark Mode Updates Yet
- Maneka Gandhi Sends Help Within an Hour After Journalist Tweets Photo of Injured Monkey
- Tweet on Rap by Kollywood Star Suriya Sends Fans in Frenzy
- Not Thinking About Revenge against Oman in FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualifiers: Sunil Chhetri
- East Bengal Announce Kalyani Stadium as Their Home Venue for I-League 2019-20