Korea Masters: Kidambi Srikanth, Sameer Verma Progress as Sourabh Verma Bows Out
Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma won their respective matches to advance to the second round as Sourabh Verma crashed out in the first round at the Korea Masters.
Kidambi Srikanth (Photo Credit: BAI)
Gwangju: India made a promising start at the Korea Masters with shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma advancing to the second round of the men's singles competition here on Wednesday.
The sixth seed Srikanth defeated Hong Kong's Wong Wing Ki Vincent 21-18 21-17 in match that lasted 37 minutes.
The former world no.1 Srikanth now enjoys a dominant 11-3 head-to-head record over the Hong Kong shuttler. He will face Kanta Tsuneyama of Japan in the second round.
Sameer Verma also reached the second round after his opponent Japan's Kazumasa Sakai retired midway with the score reading 11-8 in favour of the Indian.
However, it was end of the road for Sourabh Verma, who went down after winning the first game to local favourite Kim Donghun 21-13 12-21 13-21.
Sameer will take on Donghun in the second round.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone's Resemblance to Kapil Dev and Romi Bhatia in '83 Will Amaze You
- Samsung Galaxy A71 Launched in India: Price, Specs, Availability and More
- Sneak Peek into FIFA's Legacy Projects Ahead of U-17 Women's World Cup in India
- Kohli Just 'Invited' the Internet to Meme His Comical Photo and Desi Fans Didn't Disappoint
- Indians Pay More For Mobile & Broadband, if Subscriptions For Netflix And More Are Bundled