Maisnam Meiraba Clinches Korea Jr Open Title, Sathish Kumar Karunakaran Wins Bronze
Maisnam Meiraba won the boys singles U-19 title at the Korea Junior Open as Sathish Kumar Karunakaran claimed bronze.
Maisnam Meiraba and Sathish Kumar Karunakaran (Photo Credit: BAI)
New Delhi: Maisnam Meiraba Luwang lived up to his top billing as he clinched the boys singles U-19 title at the Woncheon Yonex Korea Junior Open International Challenge 2019 in Miryang, Korea on Saturday. The top seed from Manipur needed just 36 minutes to brush aside the challenge of 15th seed Lee Hak Joo of Korea in a 21-10, 21-13 win.
Also claiming the bronze in the same category at this Junior International Challenge badminton tournament was eighth seed Sathish Kumar Karunakaran, who had bowed out to Luwang 16-21, 22-24 in a gritty semi-final contest on Friday.
Luwang, who currently holds the No. 9 spot in the World Junior Rankings, was impressive throughout the week and dropped just one game in six matches. This is the 16-year-old rising star's third international title this year following his triumphs at the Russian Junior White Nights 2019 and India Junior International 2019.
Luwang would especially be pleased with the way he rebounded after a disappointing exit from the World Junior Championships last month, where he crashed out in the Round of 64.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Poonam Pandey in an Ugly Legal Battle with Shilpa Shetty's Husband Raj Kundra, Case Reaches High Court
- Indians Are Googling Where to Download 'Teri Mitti' After 'Apna Time Aayega' Wins Filmfare
- Rangoli Chandel Lashes Out at Alia, Ananya, Karan Post Kangana Ranaut's Snub at Filmfare
- We Finally Know Why There is no Instagram App For The Apple iPad, Just Yet
- Mohun Bagan Fined Rs 3 Lakh, Asked to Clear Dues to 4 Ex-players and Former Coach Khalid Jamil