Parupalli Kashyap Reaches Main Draw of Korea Open
Commonwealth Games champion Parupalli Kashyap notched up consecutive victories in the qualifiers to reach the main draw of the USD 600,000 Korea Super Series.
A file photo of Indian shuttler P Kashyap. (Getty Images)
Seoul: Commonwealth Games champion Parupalli Kashyap notched up consecutive victories in the qualifiers to reach the main draw of the USD 600,000 Korea Super Series here on Tuesday.
At the Seong-nam Indoor Stadium here, Kashyap played two gruelling contests and came out with flying colours in both occasion to set up a fight against Chinese fourth seed Tian Houwei in the opening round of men's singles tomorrow.
The Indian first eked out a 15-21 23-21 21-19 victory over local shuttler Ko Gyung Bo in an hour contest, before edging out Thailand's Pannawit Thongnuam 15-21 21-16 21-15 in the second match of the day that lasted 55 minutes.
The 30-year-old from Hyderabad, who is making his way back into the international circuit after a long injury lay-off, has played twice against Tian and had beaten the Chinese in his last encounter at 2014 French Open.
K Srikanth, Ajay Jayaram, H S Prannoy and B Sai Praneeth will start their campaign in men's singles, while Tanvi Lad will be the only competitor in women's singles.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Peeling Back the Days: The Year of the Onion – An Autobiography
- I Don't Endorse Anything Kabir Singh Did in the Movie, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas to Create Series Inspired By Their Own Sangeet for Amazon
- BWF World Tour Finals: PV Sindhu's Title Defence Ends After Loss to Chen Yu Fei
- India’s Personal Data Protection Bill is Heading For Review: Everything You Must Know