Union Budget 2017: Govt Abolishes FIPB; More FDI Policy Easing on Anvil
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Wednesday announced the abolition of FIPB, a body that clears proposals envisaging foreign investment up to Rs 5,000 crore.
File photo of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.
New Delhi: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Wednesday announced the abolition of FIPB, a body that clears proposals envisaging foreign investment up to Rs 5,000 crore.
The minister also announced that further liberalisation of the FDI policy is under consideration.
"In the meanwhile, further liberalisation of the FDI policy is under consideration and necessary announcements will be made in due course," he said.
Investments in sectors that are not under the automatic route require approval of the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB).
Over 90 per cent of the foreign direct investment (FDI) is coming through automatic route.
Currently, FIPB offers a single window clearance for applications on FDI in India that are under the approval route.
The sectors under automatic route do not require any prior approval from FIPB and are subject to only sectoral laws.
FIPB was initially constituted under the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) in the wake of the economic liberalisation drive of the early 1990s.
The Board was reconstituted in 1996 with transfer of the FIPB to the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP). It was again transferred to the Department of Economic Affairs, under the Ministry of Finance, in 2003.
FDI into the country increased by 30 per cent to USD 21.62 billion during April-September this fiscal.
Recommended For You
- Exclusive | Manika Batra Targets Asian Games Glory After Winning Four Medals at CWG 2018
- Badumbaaa: Big B, Rishi Kapoor Turn Singers To Take You On A Jolly Ride In 102 Not Out First Song
- Throwback Thursday: When Sanjay Dutt Said He'd Marry Madhuri Dixit If Given an Option
- Jacqueline Fernandez Thinks These Two Stars Are The Fittest Actors In Bollywood
- Indian Cricketer Hardik Pandya Buys Audi A6 Luxury Sedan Worth Rs 65 Lakh