GST on Electric Vehicles Slashed from 12% to 5%, Tax on Chargers Also Reduced
The GST Council also reduced the GST on EV chargers from 18% to five per cent. The new rates will be effective from 1st August 2019.
New Delhi: The GST Council on Saturday slashed GST on electric vehicles (EVs) to five per cent from 12%. It also reduced the GST on EV chargers from 18% to five per cent. The new rates will be effective from 1st August 2019.
The council further approved exemption from GST on hiring of electric buses by local authorities.
Ahead of the meeting, many states have expressed concerns regarding this rate reduction. The states voiced their concerns, citing huge investment that has been made already in the existing diesel and petrol-fueled vehicles. They have also cited that there is an existing slowdown in the auto sales numbers so the government should take a calibrated view on this.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Trailers This Week: Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, To All The Boys 2 Prep Audience for Valentine's Month
- Padma Shri Oinam Bembem Devi Used to Change Her Name to Play With Boys When She Was Young
- Donald Trump's New Space Force Logo is Eerily Similar to Star Trek's Starfleet Command
- India vs New Zealand 2nd T20I Live Streaming: When & Where to Watch Live Telecast on TV & Online
- Twitter Brings Tricolor India Gate Emoji to Mark 71st Republic Day