Need to Make India Defence Manufacturing Hub: Arun Jaitley
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday batted for making India a defence manufacturing hub, saying it is essential to deal with various security challenges like insurgency effectively.
File photo of Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley . (Image: PTI)
Pune: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday batted for making India a defence manufacturing hub, saying it is essential to deal with various security challenges like insurgency effectively.
No country can secure itself by depending on others for its defence supplies, the minister said amid steps by the government to bring in private players in the sector.
"If the economy requires us to become a manufacturing hub, then security requires us to become a hub for defence manufacturing. This is the area where the country will have to use the vast resources it possesses.
"We will have to use the large number of academic institutions we have for training minds and cover up the critical gap that still exists," Jaitley said.
In a veiled attack on the previous UPA government, he said the "conservative policies" of the past have hindered progress in the field of defence manufacturing.
The government has broken away from the restrictive past to achieve the goal of self-reliance in defence, he said.
A total of 134 graduating students of the DIAT, an autonomous organisation under the DRDO, were awarded degrees on the occasion.
|Power Grid Corp||202.00||1.76|
Recommended For You
- IPL 2019 | Moments When Rishabh Pant Made His Bat do the Talking
- Radha Ravi Slammed For Misogynistic Remarks Against Nayanthara, Tamil Film Fraternity Boycotts the Actor
- Netflix is Flexing Its AI Muscles, With The Episode Ordering Experiment For Love, Death + Robots
- Jawa to Auction Motorcycles to Raise Funds for Armed Forces Ahead of Deliveries
- PUBG Mobile Ban: Five Incidents in India Which Indicate How Addictive The Battle Royale Game Can be
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s