Retail Inflation Hits 5-month High of 3.81% in March
Retail inflation jumped to 5-month high of 3.81 percent in March on costlier protein items, edible oils and non-food products like fuel and light.
New Delhi: Retail inflation jumped to 5-month high of 3.81 percent in March on costlier protein items, edible oils and non-food products like fuel and light.
Inflation based on Consumer Price Index (CPI) was at 3.65 percent in February.
Protein rich items such as milk & products and eggs were costlier during the month with inflation prints of 5.13 percent and 2.96 percent respectively.
Prepared meals, snacks and sweets prices were also high as prices grew by 6.13 percent.
However, vegetables continued to remain in the negative zone with deflation of (-)8.57 percent in March 2017, as per the data from the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
Overall, food inflation was at 1.85 per cent as against 2.01 percent in February.
For fuel and light category, inflation rose to 5.75 percent for the month.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Anushka Sharma Recalls Dancing to Preity Zinta's Song Bumbro from Mission Kashmir in School
- Sophie Turner Joins Joe Jonas in NYC as Jonas Brothers Take a Day Off from Their Tour
- Doing a Bamboozle: Meet Astro, the Robodog 'Inspired' by the Human Brain
- OnePlus TV Will be Launched in India in September; Expected to Run Android TV
- New Zealand Cricketers Satterthwaite & Tahuhu Announce Pregnancy