Rupee Slides 10 Paise Against Dollar; Stocks an Overhang
The rupee lost 10 paise to a fresh one-month low of 64.73 against the dollar in early session on Friday, with a decidedly lower start in stocks casting a shadow.
Representative photo. (Image: Reuters)
Mumbai: The rupee lost 10 paise to a fresh one-month low of 64.73 against the dollar in early session on Friday, with a decidedly lower start in stocks casting a shadow.
The American unit found greater traction among importers and banks.
Dealers attributed the rupee's fall to fresh demand for the US currency and a subdued opening in domestic equities.
The slide in the rupee, however, was limited because the US dollar plunged to a 12-month low against the euro as odds rose that there could be shifts in monetary policy by the European Central Bank and the Bank of England.
On Thursday, the rupee had lost 8 paise to end at a one- month low of 64.63 against the greenback amid uninterrupted dollar demand from importers.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex was trading lower by 154.23 points, or 0.50 per cent, at 30,703.29 in opening spell.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Anushka Sharma Hails 'Crusader' Sunitha Krishnan for Helping Sex Trafficking Victims
- Rafael Nadal Gets Married to His Partner of 14 Years Xisco Perello
- Woman Wears Clothes Weighing 2.5 Kilo to Avoid Paying Excess Baggage Fee at Airport
- Disha Patani and Tiger Shroff Add Star Power to ISL 2019-20 Opening Ceremony
- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is Defending Free Speech; Yes, You Read That Right