Rupee Slips by 9 Paise to 69.20 Against US Dollar in Early Trade
While strengthening of the American currency in the overseas market weighed on the domestic currency, sustained foreign fund inflows restricted the fall.
Mumbai: The rupee fell 9 paise to 69.20 against the US dollar in opening trade on Thursday on increased demand for the greenback from importers and banks.
Forex dealers said strengthening of the American currency in the overseas market weighed on the domestic currency.
However, sustained foreign fund inflows supported the rupee and restricted the fall.
The rupee opened weak at 69.15 at the interbank forex market, then fell further to 69.20 down 9 paise against its last close. The local currency, however, pared the initial loss and was trading at 69.15 at 0940 hrs.
The rupee Wednesday had strengthened by 19 paise to 69.11 against the US dollar.
Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) remained net buyers in the capital markets, putting in Rs 1,429.92 crore Wednesday, as per provisional data.
Meanwhile, Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, fell 0.49 per cent to trade at USD 71.38 per barrel.
Indian bourses opened on a cautious note Thursday, with benchmark indices Sensex trading 20.31 points up at 38,605.66 and Nifty was quoted at 11,595.95 points, up 11.65 points.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Abu Malik Evicted from Salman Khan's Show, Calls His Journey Unpredictable
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 21 Written Updates: Paras Feels Salman is Picking on Him, Abu Malik Evicted
- Quinton de Kock's Reaction After Indian Fan Breaches Security to Touch His Feet is Priceless
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials
- OnePlus TV 55Q1 Pro Review: Mildly Eccentric But You’ll Love a Great QLED Display