Rupee Softens 5 Paise Against Dollar in Early Trade
The rupee was trading lower by 5 paise at 64.96 against the American currency in early trade on Thursday at the Interbank Foreign Exchange after the dollar gained strength overseas.
Image for representation. (PTI)
Mumbai: The rupee was trading lower by 5 paise at 64.96 against the American currency in early trade on Thursday at the Interbank Foreign Exchange after the dollar gained strength overseas.
Forex dealers said that increased demand for the US currency from importers and the dollar's gains against other currencies overseas put pressure on the rupee.
However, a higher opening in the domestic equity market capped the rupee's losses, they said.
on Wednesday, the rupee had marched to a new 17-month high to close at 64.91, up 13 paise. This was a level not seen since October 2015, as speculative traders and exporters resorted to heavy selling of the greenback.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex advanced by 63.41 points, or 0.21 per cent, to 29,594.84 in the opening trade on Thursday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Will You Have to Link Your Aadhaar With Facebook, WhatsApp And Twitter Accounts?
- 'TB Survivor' Amitabh Bachchan: 75 Percent of My Liver is Gone, Still Surviving on 25 Percent
- Shahid Kapoor Posts Most Adorable Pic of His Son Zain And Netizens Call Him Actor's 'Xerox Copy'
- New Zealand Cricketers Satterthwaite & Tahuhu Announce Pregnancy
- Moon is Glowing Brighter than Sun in NASA's Fermi Gamma-Ray Images