Rupee Softens 5 Paise Against Dollar in Early Trade
The rupee was trading lower by 5 paise at 64.96 against the American currency in early trade on Thursday at the Interbank Foreign Exchange after the dollar gained strength overseas.
Representative image (PTI)
Mumbai: The rupee was trading lower by 5 paise at 64.96 against the American currency in early trade on Thursday at the Interbank Foreign Exchange after the dollar gained strength overseas.
Forex dealers said that increased demand for the US currency from importers and the dollar's gains against other currencies overseas put pressure on the rupee.
However, a higher opening in the domestic equity market capped the rupee's losses, they said.
on Wednesday, the rupee had marched to a new 17-month high to close at 64.91, up 13 paise. This was a level not seen since October 2015, as speculative traders and exporters resorted to heavy selling of the greenback.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex advanced by 63.41 points, or 0.21 per cent, to 29,594.84 in the opening trade on Thursday.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Old MS Dhoni is Back With a Vengeance: Border
- Bhabiji Ghar Par Hain Actress Saumya Tandon Shares First Photo of Her Newborn Son
- TRAI’s New Rules For Cable & DTH: Everything You Need to Know Ahead of the Feb 1 Deadline
- Could Facebook be Hit With Record Fine For Privacy Violations Involving Our Information?
- BJP MLA Sadhna Singh Calling Mayawati 'Worse Than Eunuch' Shows Transphobia is Still Alive in 2019
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s