Rupee Strengthens 50 paise to 69.94 Against US Dollar
The rupee appreciated by another 50 paise to breach the 70 per dollar-mark in opening trade on Wednesday on a persistent drop in crude prices amid fresh foreign fund inflows and sustained selling of the American currency by exporters and banks.
Image for representation. (Image : Reuters)
Mumbai: Continuing its rising spree, the rupee appreciated by another 50 paise to breach the 70 per dollar-mark in opening trade on Wednesday on a persistent drop in crude prices amid fresh foreign fund inflows and sustained selling of the American currency by exporters and banks.
Besides, the dollar's weakness against some currencies overseas ahead of US Federal Reserve's policy meet outcome later in the day also supported the rupee.
The domestic unit opened with strength at Rs 70.05 at the Interbank Foreign Exchange and advanced further to 69.87 against the US dollar. Brent crude, an international benchmark, dropped by 4.2 per cent lower to USD 57.07 per barrel on Tuesday, a 14-month low.
The rupee on Tuesday rallied by a whopping 112 paise, its best single-day gains in over five years, to settle at 70.44 against the US dollar as softening crude oil prices eased concerns over India's current account deficit expansion.
Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) bought shares worth Rs 144.76 crore Tuesday, as per provisional data. Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex rose 112.32 points, or 0.31 per cent, to 36,459.09 in opening trade.
|Power Grid Corp||194.60||0.39|
Recommended For You
- 18 Years of Lagaan: Aamir Khan Shares Emotional Post and Thanks Ashutosh Gowarikar
- Ranveer Singh Wishes 'Papa' on Father's Day 2019 with a Throwback Picture and Millennial Hashtags
- Ahead of India Vs Pakistan Clash in the ICC World Cup 2019, Bollywood Memes Are a Hit
- Last Hurrah: Mahindra Thar Signature Edition to Commemorate its First Generation
- #BlueForSudan: Why Are People Changing Their Profile Pictures to this Shade of Indigo?
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s