Rupee Tumbles 42 Paise Against US Dollar
The rupee was trading lower by 42 paise at 7.67 against the US dollar in early trade on Tuesday as the American currency strengthened overseas amid a lower opening of the domestic equity market.
A file photo of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Mumbai: The rupee was trading lower by 42 paise at 7.67 against the US dollar in early trade on Tuesday as the American currency strengthened overseas amid a lower opening of the domestic equity market.
Forex dealers said continued demand for the American unit from importers and the greenback's persistent gains against other Asian currencies since Donald Trump's unexpected win in the US presidential election on November 8, putting pressure on the rupee.
On Friday, the rupee had lost 62 paise to end at over three-month low level of 67.25 against the American currency on fears of capital outflows amid resurgent dollar overseas.
Forex market remained closed on Monday on account of 'Guru Nanak Jayanti'.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex plunged by 344.27 points, or 1.28 per cent, to 26,474.55 in early trade on Tuesday.
Recommended For You
- Amitabh Bachchan Expresses Outrage Over 60 Year Copyright Law
- Chennaiyin FC Won ISL Fairly, Disappointed With Gurpreet's Comments: John Gregory
- Zuckerberg Goes 007 Mode: Sets up 'Secret Police' to Find Information Leakers in Facebook
- Rajinikanth Ensured I Ate On Time: Pankaj Tripathi
- India Joins In As World Prepares To Celebrate French Gastronomy On March 21