10 Things You Need to Know About the World's Largest Cricket Stadium Being Built in Ahmedabad
Sprawled over 63 acres of land, the Motera stadium will be able to seat almost 1.10 lakh people, superseding Melbourne Stadium which currently has a capacity of about 90,000.
the old Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium in Ahmedabad that could house 54,000 people was torn down to create the new Motera stadium that can seat over 10 lakh people | Source: Twitter/ParimalNathwani)
World's Largest Cricket Stadium, larger than #Melbourne, is under construction at #Motera in #Ahmedabad,#Gujarat. Once completed the dream project of #GujaratCricketAssociation will become pride of entire India. Sharing glimpses of construction work under way. @BCCI @ICC #cricket pic.twitter.com/WbeoCXNqRJ
— Parimal Nathwani (@mpparimal) January 6, 2019
In his post, Nathwani wrote that the once completed, the 'dream project' would be the pride of the nation.
Here are ten things you need to know about the stadium:
- The foundation stone of the stadium was laid in Jan 2018.
- The project is the brainchild of PM Narendra Modi, and is being led by the Gujarat Cricket Association.
- Larson & Tourbo (L&T) were given the tender for construction of the property and renowned architecture firm M/s Populous were given the charge of designing the stadium.
- Populous is the same firm which is credited with designing the Melbourne Stadium, the current largest stadium in the world.
- Sprawled over 63 acres of land, the Motera stadium will be able to seat almost 1.10 lakh people, superseding the capacity of the Melbourne Stadium which is currently at 90,000.
- The cost of building the stadium is approximately 700 crores.
- The stadium will have four dressing rooms, a club house with over 50 rooms, 76 corporate boxes and an a gargantuan swimming pool.
- The premises will also include an indoor cricket raining academy.
- The stadium's parking will be able to accommodate about 3,000 four-wheeler cars and up to 10,000 two-wheelers.
- The previous Motera stadium had a capacity of 54,000. It was demolished in 2016 by the GCA in order to start work on the renovation.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka Chopra Repeats Her Signature White Turtle Neck Like a Pro
- Every Year During Diwali, I would Go Away to the Jungle: PM Narendra Modi to 'Humans of Bombay'
- Maruti Suzuki WagonR Receives 12,000 Bookings Prior to Launch
- The Indian-ness of Kamala Harris, the 'Female Barack Obama' Set to Contest the Next US Elections
- Shoaib Akhtar Slams Sarfraz Ahmed For His Racist Remarks, Deletes Video Post Later
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s