Couple Facing Trial for Spending All of $120,000 Bank Accidentally Deposited in Their Account
The couple spent most of the money on items like an SUV, a race car, two four-wheelers, and a camper.
Image for representation. (File photo/ Reuters)
A Pennsylvania couple who police say went on a spending spree after a bank accidentally deposited USD 120,000 (Rs 85,49,700) into their account are headed to trial.
State police tells the Williamsport Sun-Gazette that Robert and Tiffany Williams, of Montoursville, spent most of the money on items like an SUV, a race car, two four-wheelers, and a camper. Police say the couple also paid bills and gave friends USD 15,000 (Rs 10,68,712).
BB&T bank contacted the couple June 20 after realizing the error, telling the couple they were responsible for returning the funds. After they failed to repay the money, the bank took legal action.
The couple faces felony theft charges.
As they arrived at court Monday, Robert Williams told WNEP-TV they "took some bad legal advice" and "it probably wasn't the best thing in the end."
No trial date was set.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Test, ODI Squads for New Zealand Tour Only After Clarity on Hardik Pandya's Fitness
- Scientists Are Trying to Find Survivors of Endangered Species in Australian Bushfires
- Cat Fight: UK Couple Wins Rs 18 Lakh Court Case to Stop Neighbour from Feeding Pet Feline
- Apple Acquires Xnor.ai, an Edge-based AI Startup, for $200 Million
- Good News For WhatsApp Users as Facebook Backs Down on Adverts, But There is a Catch