Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » Buzz
1-min read

Doctors Find Huge 5-Inch Tapeworm Living Inside Man's Brain for More than a Decade

Doctors discovered that the man had a rare parasite living in his brain, which had likely been there for more than a decade.

Trending Desk

Updated:November 11, 2019, 4:37 PM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Doctors Find Huge 5-Inch Tapeworm Living Inside Man's Brain for More than a Decade
Image for representation.

Following a 26-year-old Oregon woman finding parasitic worms in her eyes, a man in China who had been experiencing seizures and other strange symptoms for years, was diagnosed as having a parasite living in his brains, by doctors.

According to a report in Fox News, doctors discovered that the man had a rare parasite living in his brain, which had likely been there for more than a decade.

The native for Guangzhou, China, said he began feeling numb on the left side of his body since 2007, reported Fox News, adding that following that, he started developing more worrisome symptoms, including blackouts and seizures.

However, doctors failed to find the underlying cause of his illness.

In 2018, doctors finally discovered an almost 5-inch-ling tapeworm in his brain and he was diagnosed with sparganosis. It is a type of infection caused by the tapeworm larvae known as Spirometra.

The Live Science report cited Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which says that humans are rarely infected by Spirometra, which are native to the intestines of dogs and cats.

However, according to the report, there are changes of humans getting infected if they consume contaminated water. Humans can also get in contact with it if they consume a meal that is undercooked meat. The parasite is found in animals like frogs and snakes. Humans who consume such animals are prone to get this infection as they are hosts to the worms.

According to CDC, Spirometra larvae can travel anywhere in the body, including eyes, urinary tract, lungs, abdomen as well as the Central Nervous System.

Doctors removed the tapeworm following a 2-hour surgery. Fox News cited an interview Dr Gu Youming gave to AisaWire, where he said that the live tapeworm was moving in the person's brain and they had to remove all of it, otherwise the leftover part could grow again.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Tech and Auto Awards Live

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results