Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » Buzz
1-min read

Man Who Just Wanted 'Super-Comfortable' Feather Bed Caught Lung Infection From It

According to the American Lung Association, a person's lung gets inflamed from inhaling allergens like dust, fungus, mold, or chemicals in such a condition.

Trending Desk

Updated:November 25, 2019, 1:39 PM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Man Who Just Wanted 'Super-Comfortable' Feather Bed Caught Lung Infection From It
Image credits: Flickr/yataro1.

After a tiring day of work, all that a person wants is a comfortable bed to sleep. But what happens when your comfortable bed, which you don't want to get out of, is the reason for your sickness?

It happened with a man in Scotland, Martin Taylor, a 43-year old who wanted nothing more than a comfortable bed. However, his comfortable, feather-filled bed ended up giving him severe lung inflammation.

In 2016, Taylor developed “feather duvet lung,” a form of hypersensitivity pneumonitis or “bird fancier’s lung.” In the journal BMJ Case Reports, the doctor reported from inhaling organic dust from duck or goose feathers found in duvets and pillows to be the main cause of the disease or hyperallergic reaction.

Scotland-based Taylor contacted a chest physician after experiencing malaise, fatigue and breathlessness for days. Dr. Owen Dempsey diagnosed him with a respiratory infection, but his symptoms got worse.

The specialist scanned the man's lungs and saw they had a ground glass, mosaic pattern. It was after a CT scan that he was diagnosed to have hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

According to the American Lung Association, a person's lung gets inflamed from inhaling allergens like dust, fungus, mold, or chemicals in such a condition.

The man was told to get rid of his feather-filled bedding, which was leading to such a disaster. He was then treated with a high dose of steroids for a month. As the man explains, a misdiagnosis led to severing his condition.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results