Marsquake: NASA's InSight Lander Detects First Seismic Event on the Red Planet
NASA's InSight lander appears to have detected its first seismic event on Mars after touched down on the Red Planet in November last year.
File image. NASA's Mars InSight Flexes Robotic Arm, Captures New Views (image: NASA/JPL-Caltech)
The American space agency's InSight lander appears to have detected its first seismic event on Mars after touched down on the Red Planet in November last year.
The faint rumble was picked up by the probe's sensors on April 6 -- the 128th Martian day, or sol, of the mission.
It is the first seismic signal detected on the surface of a planetary body other than the Earth and its Moon, the BBC reported.
Scientists say the source for this "Marsquake" could either be movement in a crack inside the planet or the shaking from a meteorite impact.
InSight's scientists say the character of the rumble reminds them very much of the type of data the Apollo sensors gathered on the lunar surface.
Astronauts installed five seismometers that measured thousands of quakes while operating on the Moon between 1969 and 1977.
The InSight aims to identify multiple quakes, to help build a clearer picture of Mars' interior structure.
Researchers can then compare this with Earth's internal rock layering, to learn something new about the different ways in which these two worlds have evolved.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Malaika Arora Shows How to Stretch in Her Monday Motivation Pics, See Here
- Smriti Irani Reveals Why She is Jealous of 'Bro' and Fitness Guru Micky Mehta in Insta Post
- Bigg Boss 13: Salman Khan Announces Sidharth Shukla to be Rashami Desai's Slave, She Refuses
- This Airline's All-Women Crew Flew 120 Young Girls to NASA to Promote Gender Equality
- Neymar Gets Injured Again, Limps Out of Brazil's Friendly Against Nigeria