Railway Authorities Go 'Bananas' Over Cleanliness, Ban Sale of Fruit at Lucknow Station
Railway authorities have also warned that anyone found breaching the ban will face strict action, including a penalty.
Image for representational purpose only. (Photo Courtesy: Reuters)
Railway authorities in Lucknow seem to have gone bananas over cleanliness. Believing that banana peels spread filth, authorities have banned the sale of the fruit at the Charbagh Railway Station.
Authorities have also warned that anyone found breaching the ban will face strict action, including a penalty.
The move hasn't gone down well with the vendors and travellers.
"I have not sold bananas for the last 5 to 6 days. The administration has banned its sale. Earlier, poor people use to buy bananas as most other fruits are expensive," said a vendor at Charbagh station.
"Bananas are the cheapest, healthiest and safest fruit that one can consume while travelling. It is absurd to say that bananas create filth. If that is true then one should ban toilets also because the maximum filth is generated there. Water bottles and packed snacks should also be banned," said Arvind Nagar, who commutes daily by train between Lucknow and Kanpur.
He said that banana peels are organic and harmless for the environment, besides being a cheap source of nutrition for the poor.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ayushmann Khurrana-Nushrat Bharucha's Dream Girl Song Removed from YouTube Over Copyright Issues
- Happy Daughter’s Day 2019: Meet the Famous Father-Daughter Duo of Bollywood
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Mini SUV Officially Teased Ahead of September 30 Launch: Watch Video
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened