Most of the adults took to online courses to upskill themselves in short-term courses during the lockdown. But a survey by Amity Online reveals that there is a bias in the digital learning space. Among total learners at the platform, as many as 65 per cent were males while the rest 35 per cent identified as females. Only 50 per cent of women as compared to men enrolled in a course for every 100 interested, claims the Amity Online study.
The report found out that financial constraints were a major concern for women pursuing online professional courses followed by a supportive environment and social proof. “Spending on upskilling or investing in self-development is seen as self-indulgence to many females – especially when they take a career break and want to rejoin the workforce after sabbaticals,” claims the survey.
For male students too, affordability was one of the major concerns followed by mode of learning, and flexibility. Overall (regardless of gender), learners preferred recorded lectures over live classes, as per the report.
The most preferred skills were leadership and management with 65 per cent of learners opting for such courses followed by business analytics with 51 per cent traction. Creative problem-solving at 49 per cent, decision making at 48 per cent, business communication at 46 per cent, and digital marketing at 41 per cent were among some of the most preferred courses, as per the report.
To support the study of females, Amity Online offered 20 per cent scholarships for women on sabbaticals pursuing upskilling courses. Further, a ‘study now pay later’ was also introduced for women.