Bulgaria Football Chief Resigns after Racist Abuse at England Match
The Bulgaria-England Euro 202 qualifier had to be stopped twice due to racist abuse from the crowd.
Bulgarian fan's racist abuse forced the game to be stopped twice (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Sofia: Bulgaria's football union president resigned on Tuesday, a day after racist abuse marred a match against England in Sofia.
"Today the president of the Bulgarian Football Union Borislav Mihaylov presented his resignation, which will be handed in to the members of the executive committee on its meeting on Friday," the union said in a statement on its website.
The decision "resulted from the tension created over the past days, which is detrimental to Bulgarian football and the Bulgarian football union," the statement said.
The Euro 2020 qualifier, which England won 6-0, was twice halted by racist chanting aimed at England players.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- The Hysterical Animals that Won the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2019
- Jawa Perak Bobber Launched in India at Rs 1.95 Lakh, Gets BS-VI Engine
- Kapil Sharma Tells Akshay Kumar 'My Good News is Coming Before Yours' in Fun Twitter Exchange
- Hong Kong Open: PV Sindhu, Parupalli Kashyap Crash Out in Second Round
- Very Few World Class Bowlers in Test Cricket Now: Sachin Tendulkar