Bulgaria Football Chief Resigns after Racist Abuse at England Match
The Bulgaria-England Euro 202 qualifier had to be stopped twice due to racist abuse from the crowd.
Bulgarian fan's racist abuse forced the game to be stopped twice (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Sofia: Bulgaria's football union president resigned on Tuesday, a day after racist abuse marred a match against England in Sofia.
"Today the president of the Bulgarian Football Union Borislav Mihaylov presented his resignation, which will be handed in to the members of the executive committee on its meeting on Friday," the union said in a statement on its website.
The decision "resulted from the tension created over the past days, which is detrimental to Bulgarian football and the Bulgarian football union," the statement said.
The Euro 2020 qualifier, which England won 6-0, was twice halted by racist chanting aimed at England players.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Parth Samthaan Had a Crush on Kasautii Zindagii Kay's Komolika Aamna Sharif
- Hrithik Roshan's Childhood Dancing Video Shared by Mother Pinkie Wins the Internet
- Mubi Wants You to Watch Critically Acclaimed Cinema at Rs 199 For Three Months
- Taylor Swift's Former Label Allows Her to Perform Old Music After Backlash From Public
- Maneka Gandhi Sends Help Within an Hour After Journalist Tweets Photo of Injured Monkey