Derby County Charge Two Players for Drink-driving After Car Crash
Mason Bennett and Tom Lawrence have been fined after car crash led to season-ending knee injury for Derby County captain Richard Keogh.
Mason Bennett and Tom Lawrence have been fined "the equivalent of six weeks". (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Derby: Derby County, an EFL Championship football side, have charged two of their players with drink-driving following a car crash that left team captain Richard Keogh with a season-ending knee injury.
According to an ESPNFC report, Derby said in a statement that Mason Bennett and Tom Lawrence have been fined "the equivalent of six weeks" of their wages and will serve an additional 80 hours of community and rehabilitation, which will include a drinking awareness course.
BBC quoted the club as saying that it "will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute."
The incident took place on September 24 when Keogh was reportedly in the back seat of a car that crashed into a lamppost.
Bennett said: "Being a footballer and someone who young fans look up to I know the example I set is key. I am ashamed. At 23 I am old enough, and I was brought up, to know better."
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Purse of Girl Lost in 1950s and Found in 2019 Reveals Fascinating Life of Retro American Teens
- Amidst Tata Cars Getting 5-Star Safety Ratings, Maruti Suzuki Announces to Skip Global NCAP Test
- Rangoli Chandel Lashes Out at Alia, Ananya, Karan Post Kangana Ranaut's Snub at Filmfare
- WATCH: Passenger Plane Etihad Airbus A380 Lands Sideways in London, Heart-stopping Clip Goes Viral
- Samsung Galaxy S20, S20 Plus, S20 Ultra India Price Announced: Here Are All The Details