Diego Maradona Returns to Argentina to Manage Superliga Side
Diego Maradona has joined Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata as their new head coach.
File photo of Diego Maradona.
Buenos Aires: Diego Maradona has joined Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata as their new head coach as the club fights to avoid relegation from Argentina's top division.
The 57-year-old agreed to a contract that runs until the end of the current Superliga Argentina season next May, according to a statement on the club's official website, reports Xinhua news agency.
Maradona's last coaching job was with Mexican second division side Dorados, with whom he parted ways in June due to health problems.
The 58-year-old, who was Argentina's national team head coach from 2008 to 2010, has undergone successful knee and shoulder surgery in recent weeks, according to his lawyer Matias Morla.
Gimnasia are currently last in the 24-team Superliga Argentina standings with one win and four losses from five matches this season. The club has been searching for a new manager since Sunday, when Dario Ortiz quit after the team's 1-0 loss to Argentinos Juniors.
Maradona is widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history and almost single-handedly led Argentina to the 1986 World Cup title in Mexico.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Grammys 2020: Nick Jonas Has the Best Response to Fans Pointing Out What Was Stuck in His Teeth
- Want Dark Mode on WhatsApp Web Also? Here's How to Enable it on Chrome, Firefox And Opera
- WhatsApp Users Beware: This Simple Trick Can Save Your Phone From Being Hacked
- This Compilation of Kobe Bryant and His Daughter Gianna's On-Court Moments Has Left Fans in Tears
- Kids Have This Really Cool Trick With Apple AirPods to Talk Without Actually Speaking