Dries Mertens Breaks Diego Maradona's Goal-scoring Record for Napoli
Dries Mertens scored the two goals for in Napoli's 3-2 win over Red Bull Salzburg in the UEFA Champions League, to become the Italian club's second-highest all-time goalscorer.
Dries Mertens (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Milan: Belgium's Dries Mertens overtook Diego Maradona as Napoli's second-highest all-time goalscorer after the side defeated Red Bull Salzburg 3-2 in the Champions League.
On Wednesday night, the 32-year-old netted a brace which took him one ahead of the Argentine legend on 116 goals, five behind Marek Hamsik.
Mertens also assisted Lorenzo Insigne in his winner to keep Napoli one point above Liverpool at the top of Group E, a BBC report said.
Maradona, regarded as one of the best footballers in the world of all time, famously helped Napoli win their first league title in 1986-87.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Chaayos Insists They Only Use Your Facial Data To Let You Buy a Cup of Chai Quickly
- PUBG Mobile 0.16.0 Beta Update: Death Race Mode, TPP to FPP Switch, and More
- Microsoft Delays Surface Earbuds to Next Year, as Things Aren’t Quite Right
- Kartik Aaryan Tries to Troll Ananya Panday for Her Pants, She Shuts Him up with Epic Response
- These Four Xiaomi Mi TV Models are Getting Android TV 9.0 Update