Durand Cup: East Bengal Beat Army Red 2-0
East Bengal defeated Army Red 2-0 in the Durand Cup as Jaime Colado and Vidyasagar Singh scored for the Kolkata team.
East Bengal started their Durand Cup campaign with a win (Photo Credit: Twitter)
Kolkata: Late goals by Jaime Colado and Vidyasagar Singh helped hosts East Bengal blank a 10-man Army Red 2-0 in the Durand Cup here Saturday.
Playing their first match of the season, the I-League runners-up had a profligate first-half with the biggest miss coming off Santos' 25th minute free-kick that ricochetted off the crossbar.
The Army Red were reduced to 10 players after their goalkeeper Muhammad Shanoos pulled down substitute Singh from behind to be shown a red-card.
|| FULL TIME ||
— Durand Cup (@thedurandcup) August 3, 2019
Colado scored from the resultant freekick in the 84th minute to give the home side the lead, while in the first minute of the stoppage time Singh tapped in from a low cross by Samad Ali to complete the tally.
East Bengal's Spaniard gaffer Alejandro Menendez fielded two foreigners in central defender Borja Gomez Perez while Colado led the attack as the red-and-gold dominated the proceedings but could not convert their chances till Army Red reduced to 10 players.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- The Viral Posts on Ranu Mondal Demanding Land for Church in Ayodhya are Fake
- 'Education is Right, Not Privilege': What Social Media is Buzzing With After JNU Fee Hike Proposal
- Janhvi Kapoor Shares Childhood Picture with Khushi, Boney Kapoor as Filmmaker Takes Charge of Kitchen
- Photoshopped Image of Cricketer Smriti Mandhana with Lipstick and Fairer Skin Causes Outrage
- Lata Mangeshkar Continues to be on Life Support, Condition Still Critical, Says Doctor