La Liga: Granada's Rise Halted By Defeat at Getafe
Granada lost to Getafe 3-1 as they failed to return to the top of the La Liga point table.
Granada (Photo Credit: Granada/Twitter)
Granada missed a chance to extend their fairytale start to the season and return to the top of La Liga on Thursday as they fell to a 3-1 defeat at Getafe.
The home side went ahead in the 35th minute with a sweeping strike from striker Angel Rodriguez after Granada had given the ball away in midfield.
They doubled their lead six minutes later when Mauro Arambarri headed home from a corner as Granada goalkeeper Rui Silva miscalculated when he tried to claim the cross into the box.
Granada winger Antonio Puertas gave the visitors a fighting chance of salvaging a point when he netted on the rebound from close range in the 74th minute but David Timor sealed victory for Getafe in the 88th by hammering a free kick in off the bar.
Granada had climbed to the top of the standings on Sunday after beating Real Betis 1-0 but they are now third on 20 points from 11 games, one point behind second-placed Real Madrid and two adrift of leaders Barcelona, who both have a game in hand.
Getafe moved up to ninth with 16 points.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Chaayos Insists They Only Use Your Facial Data To Let You Buy a Cup of Chai Quickly
- WhatsApp Updates: Wait For Dark Mode Continues, And Here is Everything Else on The Agenda
- Tesla Launches Electric ‘Cybertruck' Inspired From Blade Runner Movie, Priced at $39,900
- Microsoft Delays Surface Earbuds to Next Year, as Things Aren’t Quite Right
- Get a FASTag For Your Car, Unless You Want to Pay More at Toll Plazas From December 1