La Liga: Granada's Rise Halted By Defeat at Getafe
Granada lost to Getafe 3-1 as they failed to return to the top of the La Liga point table.
Granada (Photo Credit: Granada/Twitter)
Granada missed a chance to extend their fairytale start to the season and return to the top of La Liga on Thursday as they fell to a 3-1 defeat at Getafe.
The home side went ahead in the 35th minute with a sweeping strike from striker Angel Rodriguez after Granada had given the ball away in midfield.
They doubled their lead six minutes later when Mauro Arambarri headed home from a corner as Granada goalkeeper Rui Silva miscalculated when he tried to claim the cross into the box.
Granada winger Antonio Puertas gave the visitors a fighting chance of salvaging a point when he netted on the rebound from close range in the 74th minute but David Timor sealed victory for Getafe in the 88th by hammering a free kick in off the bar.
Granada had climbed to the top of the standings on Sunday after beating Real Betis 1-0 but they are now third on 20 points from 11 games, one point behind second-placed Real Madrid and two adrift of leaders Barcelona, who both have a game in hand.
Getafe moved up to ninth with 16 points.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Here's How Kartik Aaryan Reacted to Jemimah Rodrigues Dancing on Haan Main Galat
- Let Irrfan be at Peace, Says His Angrezi Medium Co-star Deepak Dobriyal
- Hotstar Hammered With 1-star Ratings After it Censored John Oliver’s Episode on PM Modi
- What Did Donald Trump's Visit Achieve For India & USA? | Crux+
- Weather Reporter Accidentally Turns on Filters During Facebook Live and Internet Can't Keep Calm