Lionel Messi 'Can Leave' at End of Season But Barcelona Calm, Says Bartomeu
Lionel Messi's contract with FC Barcelona has a clause that allows him to end his contract beforehand.
File photo of Lionel Messi. (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Madrid: Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said on Friday the Spanish giants are not worried about Lionel Messi's future, despite the Argentinian star being able to leave the club at the end of the season.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner signed a new four-year deal with Barca in 2017, but Bartomeu says he is free to end his contract beforehand.
"Leo Messi has a contract through to the 2020/21 season, but the player is able to leave Barca before the final season," Bartomeu told Barcelona's in-house television channel.
"It's the same case as with the final contracts that Xavi, (Carles) Puyol and (Andres) Iniesta had. They are players who deserve that liberty, and we shouldn't worry, as they are very committed to Barca.
"We want Messi to play for Barca through to 2021 and beyond. We are very calm."
Messi, Barca's record goalscorer, is currently out injured with a calf injury, with the team struggling in his absence, managing to collect just four points from their opening three La Liga matches.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Dog or Unicorn? Meet Narwhal, the Puppy with a Tail Growing Out of His Forehead
- Best Postpaid Plan at Rs 999: Vodafone RedX vs Airtel MyPlan Infinity
- Jennifer Winget Plans to Rewrite Mahabharat with Beyhadh 2? Watch Promo
- HiBy R3 Review: A Mainstream Hi-Fi Audio Player that Suits Beginner Audio Hobbyists
- Not Speaking to My Mother Was Tough: Real Kashmir FC Defender as Valley Lockdown Completes 100 Days