Home » News » Football » Manchester United Reaches Full Agreement with Barcelona to Sign Frenkie De Jong for 85 Million Euros
1-MIN READ

Manchester United Reaches Full Agreement with Barcelona to Sign Frenkie De Jong for 85 Million Euros

Associated Press

Last Updated: July 14, 2022, 22:40 IST

Manchester

Frenkie De Jong. (Photo: AP)

Frenkie De Jong. (Photo: AP)

Barcelona has been working to reduce its payroll as it seeks to reduce its debt

Barcelona has reached an agreement with Manchester United for the potential transfer of Netherlands midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who would still need to approve the move, a person at the Spanish club with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Thursday.

United has agreed to pay Barcelona 75 million euros ($75 million) plus another potential 10 million euros in variables for the 25-year-old De Jong, according to a club official who spoke under condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about the deal.

De Jong, who is under contract with Barcelona through June 2026, would still need to agree to the transfer to the English Premier League side. So far, he is reportedly reluctant to leave Camp Nou.

ALSO READ: Manchester United Receive Huge Transfer Bid for Cristiano Ronaldo From Saudi Arabia, Says Report

But the Barcelona official with knowledge of the agreement said coach Xavi Hernández has told De Jong that he will not be a key part of his squad. Barcelona would prefer for a definite deal to be reached immediately before the team leaves on Saturday for a pre-season tour in the United States.

Barcelona has been working to reduce its payroll as it seeks to reduce its debt. De Jong’s salary, the club official said, was no longer in line with its new financial priorities.

De Jong has made 140 appearances, mostly as a regular starter, since Barcelona bought him from Ajax in 2019 for 75 million euros (then $85.5 million).

Manchester United are presently taking part in pre-season training in Thailand. Ronaldo did not take part in the practice session citing a “family issue.” Ronaldo has asked to leave United, who will be playing Europa League football in the season ahead, should the right offer come in.

Manager Erik ten Hag had emphasised that star forward Ronaldo is in his plans for the season ahead and the 37-year-old Portuguese is not for sale.

“He’s not with us and it’s due to personal issues. I spoke with him before this issue came up. I had a conversation with him and I had a good talk. That is between Cristiano and me,” the Dutch coach added.

Read all the Latest News, Breaking News, watch Top Videos and Live TV here.

first published:July 14, 2022, 19:52 IST
last updated:July 14, 2022, 22:40 IST