Messi Has No Personality, Lacks Character to Be Leader: Maradona
Argentina legend Diego Maradona has claimed that present captain Lionel Messi does not have the character to be a leader.
Lionel Messi during a practice session. (Getty Images)
Paris: Argentina legend Diego Maradona has claimed that present captain Lionel Messi does not have the character to be a leader.
Maradona was caught on microphone talking about the FC Barcelona icon with Brazil legend Pele at an event here on Thursday.
"He's a really good person, but he has no personality," Maradona was quoted as saying by goal.com.
"He lacks (the) character to be a leader."
Pele responded saying, "Ah, I get it, he's not like we were back in the days. In the 70s we (Brazil) had really good players like Rivellino, Gerson, Tostao."
"Not like Argentina now, which depends only on Messi. He (Maradona) is saying that Messi is a good player, there's no doubt about it, but he has no personality."
Messi's commitment to the game has been questioned time and again by Argentina fans as the talismanic forward has struggled to replicate his club form in national colours.
The 28-year-old has twice lost in the final of the Copa America and once if the World Cup final. He has only the 2008 Olympic gold medal as a significant international honour.
He missed Argentina's opening game of the Copa America, a 2-1 win over title holders Chile, due to a back injury.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13's Asim Riaz Chased by 2 Fans on Motorbike, Watch Video
- Responsible Doggo Shows up at Police Station to 'File' a Missing Report of Himself
- Indian Idol 11 Winner Sunny Hindustani Says He Borrowed Money for Audition
- Balakot Airstrike Anniversary: A Look at IAF Mirage-2000 Jet, Unsung Hero That Destroyed Jaish Terror Camps
- Coronavirus And Superspreaders: Humans Can Carry And Transmit COVID-19 Without Symptoms