Messi-less Argentina to Start FIFA World Cup Qualifying Against Ecuador
Argentina will host Ecuador to start its South American World Cup qualifying campaign in March.
Lionel Messi. (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Luque: Argentina will host Ecuador to start its South American World Cup qualifying campaign in March, and without the suspended Lionel Messi.
The draw on Tuesday at CONMEBOL put Bolivia in Argentina's path in the second round of qualifying. Messi will be eligible to play that match after his red card in the Copa America.
Brazil also received a comfortable launch, hosting Bolivia in the first round and visiting Peru in the second.
The biggest match of the first round will be between Uruguay and Chile.
South America's superclasico will take place in the sixth round in October, when Brazil hosts Argentina. Their second World Cup qualifier will be in September 2021.
The dates and venues were still to be decided.
South America holds four direct spots to the Qatar World Cup in 2022.
Each team plays home and away, a total of 18 matches.
The fifth-placed team in South America has a chance through a playoff against a team from another confederation.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas Seduce Each Other in What A Man Gotta Do Video
- Khatron Ke Khiladi 10 Promo Out, Rohit Shetty Welcomes Contestants To His ‘Darr Ki University’
- ISL 2019-20: Mumbai City FC Become 1st Team to do League Double Over Bengaluru FC
- Hockey India Contributes 25,000 US Dollars for Australian Bushfire Victims
- Virat Kohli Spotted Driving His New Audi Q8 SUV For the First Time