Neymar Called Up for Brazil Friendlies Amid Transfer Speculation
Neymar was announced as part of the Brazil squad that will play friendlies against Colombia and Peru next month.
Neymar did not play the Copa America due to injury. (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Rio de Janeiro: Neymar was included on Friday in Brazil's squad for friendlies against Colombia and Peru next month amid speculation of a departure from Paris Saint-Germain and a return to La Liga.
Coach Tite's announcement comes as former captain Neymar appears set to leave the French outfit and head back to Spain before the end of the transfer window on September 2, either with his former side Barcelona or Real Madrid.
The world's most expensive player has been plagued by an ankle injury that ruled him out of last month's Copa America success.
Authorities in Brazil also recently dropped an investigation into rape allegations against the forward due to insufficient evidence, accusations which he had vehemently denied.
Tite said he had spoken to Neymar, who "said he was happy", but he acknowledged that he was not doing "tactical work."
"I will not abandon an athlete of Neymar's level and quality," Tite said, explaining he wanted to give him "playing time."
Brazil will face Colombia on September 6 in Miami and Peru -- who they beat in the Copa America final -- on September 10 in Los Angeles.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients
- Katrina Kaif and Arjun Kapoor Save a Paparazzi From Getting Hurt; Watch Video
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Deepak Punia Books Tokyo Olympics Quota After Entering Semis at World Wrestling Championships
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough