Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema fed up of being substituted
Spanish giants Real Madrid's striker Karim Benzema has said he is "fed up" of being substituted by coach Rafael Benitez.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Madrid: Spanish giants Real Madrid's striker Karim Benzema has said he is "fed up" of being substituted by coach Rafael Benitez.
The Frenchman scored the only goal for his side on Sunday as Real drew 1-1 against Atletico Madrid but he was substituted for the fifth time in six La Liga starts this season.
"Substitutions are what the coach decides, I'm just there to help my team-mates," Benzema was quoted as saying by goal.com.
"It's true I'm fed up of being taken off. I am calm and will continue to work so I am not always substituted. He took me off to get a result, for defensive reasons.”
"It's true that the electronic board always shows the No.9. Ask Benitez why that is," he said.
When asked about Benzema’s suggestion, coach Benitez explained that he had substituted the 27-year-old and brought in Mateo Kovacic to balance the team. However, it was after Kovacic’s entry that Atletico equalised.
"Benzema did well, but I substituted him because we needed to freshen things up on the wing," Benitez said.
"With Gareth Bale's speed we were able to play between different areas of the pitch and with Cristiano Ronaldo up forward we kept up our attacks. We balanced the team and maintained our attacking punch," the coach added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Housefull 4 to Marjaavaan: Dullest Films of 2019 that Made Us Regret Buying Tickets
- Chhapaak Trailer: Deepika's Traumatic Journey as Acid Attack Survivor Will Give You Goosebumps
- Drag Shows, Books and Films: India's Queer Community Comes Together for First Rainbow Lit Fest
- You've Probably Listened to More 'Drake' in the Last Ten Years Than You Think
- Nike Joyride Dual Run Review: The Running Shoe Revolution is Truly Underway