SAFF U-18 Championship: Gurkirat Singh, Aman Chetri Score as India Beat Sri Lanka to Reach Semis
India will take on Maldives in the semi-final of the SAFF U-18 Championship on September 27.
India beat Sri Lanka 3-0 in SAFF U-18 Championship. (Photo Credit: @IndianFootball)
Kathmandu: Gurkirat Singh's brace took India to the semi-finals of the SAFF U-18 Championship as they beat Sri Lanka 3-0 here on Wednesday. Gurkirat's brace alongside Aman Chetri's strike proved to be the difference between the two sides in India's last league match.
The Indian team started the match on an attacking note but despite holding possession they could do little in front of the goal with Sri Lanka heaping bodies in defence.
The two sides remained goalless at the half time break.
The Indian team started the second half with much vigour but once again complacency in front of goal cost them chances. In the 65th minute, Gurkirat found the back of the net with a cross coming in through the flanks.
Gurkirat and Aman then added a goal each to take India 3-0 up in the dying moments of the match.
The three goal margin proved enough for India to seal their win and progress to the semi-finals of the SAFF U-18 Championship.
India were held to a goalless draw by Bangladesh in their opening match. India will take on Maldives in the semi-final on September 27.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Watch: Burglar Kisses Elderly Woman to Calm Her During Robbery in Pharmacy
- Amitabh Bachchan Was Never Hospitalised, Say Kaun Banega Crorepati Sources
- Guidelines For Influencers Are Incoming; a Few Folks And Brands Must be Very Worried
- TRAI to Decide on Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Battle For How Long Your Phone Should Ring
- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is Defending Free Speech; Yes, You Read That Right