Super Cup: Chennai City Knock Out Champions Bengaluru as Chhetri Goal Not Enough
Bengaluru went into the match as the reigning champions, but the defeat marked a premature end to their title defence.
Sunil Chhetri pulled a goal back for Bengaluru but it wasn't enough to avoid defeat.
Bhubaneswar: Chennai City FC registered a 2-1 win in the quarterfinals to throw defending champions Bengaluru FC out of the Super Cup football tournament here Thursday.
Bengaluru went into the match as the reigning champions, having won the inaugural edition of the tournament last year, but the defeat marked a premature end to their title defence.
Hero I-League 2018-19 champions Chennai City, meanwhile, progressed to the semifinals and will back themselves to clinch a double this season.
Nestor Jesus Gordillo put Chennai City in the lead on the 15th minute.
Chennai goalkeeper Mauro Boerchio made a brilliant save to deny Sunil Chhetri from the penalty spot in the 52nd minute.
Pedro Manzi scored a stunner on the 55th minute to double Chennai City's lead.
Chhetri pulled a goal back for Bengaluru 10 minutes later but it wasn't enough to avoid defeat.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Abu Malik Says Shehnaz Gill Has Support of Salman Khan
- Watch: Farmer Turns 910-Pound Pumpkin into Boat and Goes for a Ride in Pond
- Mozilla Firefox 70 Turns The Tables And Now You Can Track What is Tracking You
- Apple Watch Saves Another Life; This Time a Man Who Fell Off a Cliff And Broke His Back
- India vs South Africa | Happy to Make Teams Dance to Our Tunes: Shami