Suspended Spanish 2nd Division Game Due to 'Nazi' Chants to be Completed in Empty Stadium
Spain's second division match was suspended in mid-December after Rayo Vallecano fans called Albacete's Roman Zozulya a 'Nazi'.
Rayo Vallecano vs Albacete (Photo Credit: Twitter)
Madrid: The Spanish football federation on Friday ordered the second division match suspended in mid-December after Rayo Vallecano fans called Albacete's Roman Zozulya a "Nazi" to be completed in an empty stadium.
The game was stopped during the first half and then suspended at the interval after Rayo supporters directed "repeated insults and chants" at Ukrainian Zozulya, the federation announced.
Rayo were also fined 18,000 euros ($20,000) and will have to play two matches with the section of the stadium where the chanting took place closed.
Zozulya, 30, joined Rayo on loan in 2017 from Real Betis but never made an appearance for the club after his spell was cut short due to opposition from Rayo fans who protested against Zozulya's alleged links to the far right.
Rayo are based in the working class Vallecas neighbourhood of Madrid, and their fans are known for left-wing activism.
After the abuse he received at the December 15 game Zozulya got support from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky who described him as "not only a cool football player but a true patriot".
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup Will Inspire Young Girls to Take up Football: Tournament Director Roma Khanna
- The Curious Case of BJP's Tajinder Singh Bagga, Twitter 'Troll' Who Could be Future Neta
- Bigg Boss 13: Sara Ali Khan Greets Salman Khan with Aadaab and Internet is Loving it
- 'Hindustan ki Beti Hoon': Lucknow Protestor's Poem on Secularism is the Need of the Hour
- Udaipur Man Names his Son 'Congress', Hopes His Son Will Join the Party in the Future