Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
donald trump india visit
donald trump india visit
News18 » Formula One
1-min read

Formula One: 'No licence, no driving' for Sauber's Giedo van der Garde

Whiting, Formula One race director, said Van der Garde could not take to the track until his team applied for a licence on his behalf.

News18http://smitharnair

Updated:March 13, 2015, 3:35 PM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Formula One: 'No licence, no driving' for Sauber's Giedo van der Garde
Whiting, Formula One race director, said Van der Garde could not take to the track until his team applied for a licence on his behalf.

Melbourne: Formula One driver Giedo van der Garde may not be seen in the Australian Grand Prix this weekend despite a court throwing out his team's appeal after race director Charlie Whiting confirmed the Dutchman did not have a licence to race.

In a Victoria court on Thursday, F1 team Sauber had its appeal against van der Garde thrown out. The court's decision reinforced that van der Garde was guaranteed a 2015 seat in the team, reports Xinhua.

However, the 29-year-old is still yet to renew his Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) Super Licence, a requirement to drive in F1.

Whiting, FIA F1 race director, said on Thursday van der Garde could not take to the track until his team applied for a licence on his behalf.

"Every driver has to apply for a licence every year. Lots of drivers qualify automatically every year but it is always valid for just one year," he said.

"The team has to apply for it through the driver's ASN (national motor racing body).

"There are procedures," he said. "I'm not involved. The safety department in Geneva is responsible for that."

With the FIA emphasising extra safety this season with a raft of car and procedural changes, it is very unlikely van der Garde will have his super licence application accelerated in time for the weekend.

A Swiss arbitration court had already ruled Sauber could not deny the F1 journeyman the right to drive for the team, and he sought to have the ruling enforced in this jurisdiction.

Whether Sauber's optimal choice as second driver, Brazilian Felipe Nasr, will take to the track is also up in the air. Nasr has a licence, has driven in pre-season testing and was listed as team-mate to Kevin Magnussen in FIA documentation prior to the dismissed court appeal.

Van der Garde made his F1 debut in Melbourne two years ago for the Caterham F1 team, competing in 19 races. He moved to Sauber as a test driver last year.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results