12 Killed on Way to Relative’s Funeral as Sand-Laden Tractor Crashes Into Jeep in MP
The insurance of the jeep had expired in September last year, yet it continued operating hassle-free.
At the time of the mishap, the vehicle was carrying 20 people against the installed capacity of 12.
Bhopal: At least 12 people were killed, while eight others were injured when a tractor trolley carrying illegally quarried sand hit a jeep in Morena district of Madhya Pradesh on Thursday morning.
The deceased have been identified as residents of Gwalior’s Uteel area and were on their way to a relative’s last rites. The police claimed that the insurance of the jeep had expired in September 2014 but the vehicle was registered as a taxi and continued to ferry passengers.
At the time of the mishap, the vehicle was carrying 20 people against the installed capacity of 12. Madhya Pradesh Health Minister Rustam Singh also rushed to the hospital with senior officials.
The district administration in Morena had banned sand mining on June 20, though the government faces trouble in enforcing the move.
Vehicles engaged in illegal mining have been involved in various road mishaps off-late. In a recent incident, a dumper carrying sand had trampled a youth in Hoshangabad and anguished villagers had torched over 20 such vehicles and set ablaze police vehicles also.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Disha Patani Shares Insta Story Featuring Tiger Shroff, Captions it 'Bhai Bhai'
- Sanya Malhotra Grooves to Ghungroo from War, Sets Dance Floor and Social Media on Fire
- Bigg Boss 13: Krushna Reacts to Siddharth's Comment on Sister Arti, Says How Can He Do This
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials
- Flipkart Big Diwali Sale: Get Samsung’s The Frame QLED Smart TV at Rs 72,000