2 Arrested after Teenager Sets Herself on Fire Citing Rape in MP's Betul District
The 14-year-old, who sustained 95% burn injuries, died at a Nagpur hospital early on Wednesday.
Bhopal: Two people were arrested by the police on Wednesday in connection with the gang-rape and suicide of a minor girl in Madhya Pradesh's Betul district. The action came a day after the 14-year-old set herself ablaze and sustained 95% burn injuries.
She succumbed to injuries at a Nagpur hospital early on Wednesday.
Three men — one of them currently on the run — have been charged with raping the Class 8 student after keeping her in unlawful confinement.
The accused, identified as Sandip Hasane, Neelesh Nagle and Ajay, are natives of Kaldongri village in Betul and are daily-wage labourers. The trio had befriended the victim while working at a catering group. She was staying at her maternal uncle’s home for a few days when the incident took place.
Soon after returning home on Tuesday, she doused herself in kerosene. Her body has been sent for autopsy.
A suicide note found at the spot mentioned Hasane, one of the accused. The girl wrote that she was raped by him and two of his friends at a Betul office a month ago and the three had threatened her against filing a complaint.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- In Pics: Big B, Rajinikanth, Akshay, Deepika, Anushka Take Part in Modi's #9pm9minutes Initiative
- Coronavirus Can be Stopped in 48 Hours Using a Simple Anti-Parasitic Drug: Monash University
- Nagpur Police Uses Still from Shah Rukh Khan's Chennai Express for Corona Awareness
- Burj Khalifa, Eiffel Tower: What Indians Can ‘See’ From Noida, Indore as Pollution is Less
- World Cup is Still Away: How Rohit Sharma Batted for Social Distancing During #9Minutes9PM