5 Pilgrims Killed, 3 Injured After Landslide Hits Amarnath Yatra Route
An official said the identities of the deceased and the injured were yet to be ascertained and the bodies were being brought to the Baltal base hospital.
Amarnath pilgrims arrive at the base camp at Baltal, in Ganderbal district of central Kashmir. (File image: PTI)
Srinagar: Five people were killed and three others injured when a landslide hit a group of pilgrims on the Baltal route of the Amarnath Yatra in Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday night.
A police official said, "A landslide hit between Railpatri and Brarimarg on the Baltal route.” He said five people — four men and a woman — were killed, while three others were injured.
The official said the identities of the deceased and the injured were yet to be ascertained and the bodies were being brought to the Baltal base hospital.
Police and other security forces and rescue agencies were on the job, the official said, adding medical response teams were fully alert.
Earlier, a minor flash flood hit the car parking of the Baltal base camp, but there were no casualties.
As many as 18,467 pilgrims paid obeisance at the cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir hills, an official spokesperson said.
This year’s Amarnath Yatra commenced on June 28 and the 60-day pilgrimage will end on August 26.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Aamir Khan Hopes Things Get Better in China Amid Coronavirus Outbreak, Shares Video
- Mehr is Helping Dad Angad Bedi Walk After Knee Surgery, See Adorable Video
- Watch: Elderly Pune Woman Stands on Pavement and Scolds Bikers Riding on the Footpath
- The One Where They Reunite: The 'FRIENDS' Reunion is Happening, and Fans Cannot Keep Calm
- MGM Hotels Sued Over Data Breach that Affected Millions of Celebs, CEOs