25-year-old Odisha Man Sets Himself Ablaze at India Gate, Police Say He is Mentally Unstable
The self immolation took place at the lawns of India gate where protesters have been demonstrating against the Citizenship Amendment Act.
Image for representation.
New Delhi: A 25-year-old man set himself ablaze on Wednesday in the national capital and doctors said he has suffered 90 per cent burns.
The self-immolation occurred at the India Gate lawns where protesters have been demanding the rescinding of the Citizenship Amendment Act.
Police, however, said that the act by the youth, identified as Kartik Maher from Odisha, was not connected to the protests.
"His brother told us that he is mentally unstable," Deputy Commissioner of Police Eish Singhal said.
According to hospital authorities, Maher's condition is critical.
"The man has suffered almost 90 per cent burns and is unconscious. He has been admitted in the emergency ward and is being attended to by doctors. He is critical," Dr Minakshi Bharadwaj, medical superintendent of the RML hospital, said.
A spokesperson of the Union Home Ministry said the self-immolation by Maher is not linked to protest against the amended citizenship law.
The man appeared mentally disturbed, the official said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Salman Khan Ousts Madhurima Tuli from Show
- 'You Have Not Seen the Last of Us,' Says Greta Thunberg Ahead of World Economic Forum
- 'Standing is Hard': Jared Kushner's Time Magazine Cover Inspires Meme Fest on Twitter
- Horsing Around: Touristy Stallion Rides Bus Back Home after Being Found Wandering on UK Highway
- FASTags Have Actually Increased Waiting Times at Toll Plazas; Be Prepared For Delays