3 Children Dead After Boat Capsizes En Route Idol Immersion Ceremony in West Bengal's Malda
The children were going to a neighbouring village from Chakbahadur to watch idol immersion when the accident took place on Tuesday evening.
Malda: Three children drowned when a country boat ferrying them capsized at Chakbahadur area in Malda district of West Bengal, a district official said.
The children were going to a neighbouring village from Chakbahadur to watch idol immersion when the accident took place on Tuesday evening, Additional District Magistrate of Malda, Arnab Chatterjee, said.
Block Development Officer of Kaliachak Block 3, Gautam Dutta, said that the water of the Ganga which was in spate had inundated the village, located close to Farkaka, and the spot where the boat had capsized was under 5-6 feet water, While three women swam to safety, the children who were 6, 9 and 11 years old respectively drowned.
Two of the deceased were siblings. Their bodies were later fished out from the water. Nine persons had died in another incident of boat capsize in Mahananda river bordering Malda district and Katihar district of Bihar on October 3.
The incident happened when over 80 people were being ferried across the river.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Facebook Libra is Official, Even Though a Lot of The High Profile Partners Have Left
- Second Innings: Irfan Pathan, Harbhajan Singh to Debut in Tamil Cinema
- 'Respect Culture': Woman Arrested for Wearing Bikini That Was Too 'Revealing'
- Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo Winning the Nobel Prize Together is #CoupleGoals
- All-New BMW 3-Series Test Drive Review: Performance in the Lap of Luxury