3 Labourers Suffocate to Death While Cleaning Sewage Plant in Thane
Five of them were rescued by fire brigade personnel, while the remaining three choked to death.
Representative image (Getty Images)
Thane: Three labourers died of suffocation while cleaning the sewage treatment plant (STP) of a housing complex here shortly after midnight Friday, civic officials said.
A total of eight labourers were involved in the STP cleaning operation in the complex in Kapurbawdi when they got stuck inside the plant, said Santosh Kadam, chief of the Regional Disaster Management Cell of the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC).
Five of them were rescued by fire brigade personnel, while the remaining three choked to death at around 12.30 am, he said.
Kadam said the deceased were identified as Amit Puhal, 20, Aman Badal, 21 and Ajay Bumbak, 24.
The rescued workers were admitted to a government hospital for treatment, he said.
The Kapurbawdi police have registered a case of accidental death and sent the bodies for a postmortem, civic officials said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bose Frames Review: Music And More, These Are Not Your Standard Sunglasses
- ISL 2019-20: Bengaluru FC Begin Title Defence Against NorthEast United at Home
- Amitabh Bachchan Expresses Displeasure on Illness Rumours, Says 'All is Not in the World For Sale'
- Sorry Pixel 4 But iPhone Users Can Get Free Unlimited Storage on Google Photos
- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is Defending Free Speech; Yes, You Read That Right