31 Arrested for Violence During Anti-Citizenship Law Protests in UP's Rampur
A 22-year-old man had died of a bullet injury here on Saturday during the violence in which several locals and policemen were injured, and six vehicles, including a police motorcycle, were torched.
Image for representation.
Rampur (UP): Thirty-one people have been arrested and over 150 others identified for their alleged role in the violence that broke out here last Saturday amid protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), police said on Monday.
A 22-year-old man had died of a bullet injury here on Saturday during the violence in which several locals and policemen were injured, and six vehicles, including a police motorcycle, were torched, the officials said.
"We have arrested 31 people so far in connection with the violence during protest demonstrations and identified another over 150 for their role in vandalisation," Rampur Superintendent of Police Ajay Pal Sharma told PTI.
The accused have been booked for rioting and related offences, Sharma added.
He said the situation was now normal in the district and no untoward incident has been reported since Sunday, when internet services were resumed after a break of a couple of days.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Car Mishap: Shabana Azmi 'Stable', Driver Sustains Minor Injuries
- This Instagrammer Is Photoshopping a Godzilla Into all Of His Travel Photos
- 1917 Movie Review: Sam Mendes' Oscar-nominated Tale is a War Classic
- Reliance Jio Q3 2019-20 Results: Subscriber Base Jumps to 370 Million as of December 31, 2019
- Virat Kohli Spotted Driving His New Audi Q8 SUV For the First Time