5.9 Magnitude Quake Strikes Andaman & Nicobar Islands
A strong earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale today hit the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago.
An Indian Navy boat patrols in the waters of the Andaman Sea near Port Blair.
New Delhi: A strong earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale today hit the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago.
According to National Centre for Seismology, a unit of Ministry of Earth Sciences, the quake, whose epicentre was in the Nicobar Islands region, occurred at 8:21 AM at a depth of 10 kms.
However, it was not so powerful as to merit a tsunami warning. India has a dedicated tsunami warning centre that sends alerts to states and neighbouring littoral countries in case of an earthquake.
There were no immediate reports of loss of life or property.
Another earthquake measuring 3.6 on the Richter scale jolted Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir at 5:48 AM.
Recommended For You
- Half-n-Half Jersey: This Couple Captured the Real Essence of Cricket in the India vs Pakistan Match
- Sudan-Bound Turkish Airlines Flight Returned to Istanbul After a Passenger Creates Ruckus Midair
- Salman Khan Leads Congratulatory Wishes for Virat Kohli-led Team India in 'Bharat' Style
- India vs Pakistan: Amir & Wahab Warned Twice For Running on Danger Area
- Indian Talent Will Help Tide Over The Million Person Tech Expertise Shortfall: techUK’s Simon Spier
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s