5 Policemen Killed in Maoist Attack in Jharkhand's Saraikela District
After the incident, the accused fled the spot with the police weapons.
Image for representation purpose only.
New Delhi: At least five policemen were reported dead in a suspected Maoist attack in Jharkhand’s Saraikela district on Friday.
The accused fled the spot with the police weapons.
Jamshedpur City Superintendent of Police Prabhat Kumar, who also holds charge of Saraikela, has left for the spot.
According to Sub-Divisional Police Officer Avinash Kumar, the five police personnel — two assistant sub-inspectors and three constables — came under attack while patrolling the Tiruldih police station area of the district along the Jharkhand-Bengal border.
Additional Director General of Police Murari Lal Meena said the Maoists gheraoed the policemen and shot them dead.
Last month, at least 15 security personnel and a driver were killed in a Maoist attack in Maharashtra's Gadchiroli district. The attack was carried out by using an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on a police vehicle carrying the commandos.
In April, BJP MLA Bhima Mandavi and four security personnel were killed after Maoists attacked a convoy in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada. The incident had come two days before polling for the Lok Sabha elections in the state.
(With inputs from agencies)
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Milind Soman and Ankita Konwar Share Vacation Pictures from Iceland
- Rhea Chakraborty Visits Blue Grotto Cave in Italy on Trip with Sushant Singh Rajput, Watch Video
- A Twitter User is Offering to Comment 'Yikes' On Your Ex's Selfie for Just Rs 350
- Woman Wears Clothes Weighing 2.5 Kilo to Avoid Paying Excess Baggage Fee at Airport
- Disha Patani and Tiger Shroff Add Star Power to ISL 2019-20 Opening Ceremony