62-year-old Pakistani National Dies in Amritsar Jail
The deceased has been identified as 62-year-old Mohammad Azam who had reportedly been charged for crossing the border illegally.
New Delhi: A Pakistani national lodged in Amritsar jail died on Thursday. The exact cause of death has not yet been ascertained.
The deceased has been identified as 62-year-old Mohammad Azam who had reportedly been charged for crossing the border illegally. His sentence had concluded in 2016 following which he was transferred to Amritsar Jail, reported The Dawn, citing diplomatic sources.
A preliminary investigation suggested that he may have died of natural causes. On February 25, Azam was shifted to Amritsar's Guru Nanak Dev Hospital, where he breathed his last.
This comes weeks after another Pakistani citizen was killed over a brawl with other inmates regarding the volume of television in Jaipur Central Jail. Shakul Ullah (50), who was from Pakistan Punjab's Sialkot, was hit with a large stone during the prison fight.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough
- I Went to the Future, in a Hotel Where My Butler to Bartender - Were Robots
- Do Not Worry, Your Mi TV Will Get Netflix And Amazon Prime Video Apps This Year
- Huge Hairball Surgically Removed from Teenager’s Stomach By Ludhiana Doctors
- Rashami Desai to Marry Boyfriend Arhaan Khan Inside Bigg Boss 13 House: Report