9 Indian sailors jailed in Iran released, to reach Delhi today
File photo of Sushma Swaraj.
New Delhi: Nine Indian sailors who were in a jail in Iran on charges of smuggling have been released and will reach Delhi on Wednesday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Tuesday.
"Iran has released nine Indian sailors -- Thank you Iran. Thank you (Iranian Foreign Minister) Javad Zarif for a prompt action on our request," Swaraj tweeted. "
We have secured the release of Sushil Kapoor and 8 Indians from jail in Iran. They will reach Delhi tomorrow," she said on Tuesday.
Swaraj had raised the issue of the jailed Indians with Zarif during his visit in August. After her meeting with Zarif back then, Swaraj had tweeted,"I had a good meeting with Foreign Minister of Iran. I raised the issue of nine Indian sailors detained in Iran. I requested him for waiver of $2.9 million fine imposed on them and for their early release."
These Indians, who were part of a shipping crew, were in a jail in Iran for two years on charges of smuggling oil.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson Tops World's Richest Actors List, Beats Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr
- Spotify Premium Now Available With 3 Months of Free Access for New Users
- Kia Seltos Launched in India, Gets Special Twitter Icon as a Red SUV
- World Badminton Championships: B Sai Praneeth Enter Quarters, HS Prannoy Loses
- Not Just a Dropped Pin: Spacewalking Scientists Add Parking Spot to International Space Station