92 Tortoises Found on Train at Howrah Station, Three People Arrested for Smuggling
The tortoises were found on the down Howrah-Jodhpur Express during routine security checks.
Representative Image of Indian Star Tortoise (Image:PTI)
Howrah: Three persons were arrested after 92 tortoises were found on a train at the Howrah railway station on Saturday, police said.
The tortoises were found on the down Howrah-Jodhpur Express, which was waiting at platform number 8 of the station's old complex, they said. The tortoises were found during routine security checks.
Police suspect that the tortoises were being transported for smuggling. A case under relevant sections of the Wildlife Protection Act has been filed, they said, adding that further investigations are underway.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- After Ramayan and Mahabharat, 5 Iconic DD National Shows that Deserve Re-run
- Kane Williamson's Adorable Doggo Pulling off a Stunner in the Slips Will Make Your Day
- Priyanka Chopra on Plans to Start Family With Nick Jonas: It's Something I Definitely Want to Do
- Microsoft Xbox Series X Code Stolen in Cyber Attack on AMD, Reveals Company
- From Ajay Thakur to Jitender Kumar: Indian Athletes on Police Duty Amid Coronavirus Lockdown