Cabinet Clears Bill to Make Sons-in-Law, Daughters-in-Law Responsible for Welfare of Aged Parents
The bill proposed the registration and maintenance of minimum standards of senior citizens' care homes and home care service agencies. It will now have to be cleared by the Parliament.
Representational Image. (PTI)
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved a bill to amend a law which governs the welfare of senior citizens.
The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019 provides basic needs, safety and security to senior citizens.
As per the amendment, not just biological children, but sons-in-law and daughters-in-law will also be responsible for the housing, welfare and safety of parents, whether they are senior citizens or not. The responsibility also extends to
The bill proposes registration and maintenance of minimum standards of senior citizens' care homes, besides registration of homecare service agencies.
Union minister Prakash Javadekar said the bill was cleared by the Union Cabinet and would be brought in Parliament.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Goals! Cristiano Ronaldo 'Kissing' Paulo Dybala is Breaking the Internet
- In Pics: Tahira Kashyap Celebrates Birthday with Ayushmann and Aparshakti Khurrana, Sanya Malhotra
- Bigg Boss 13: Himanshi Khurana Blames Shehnaz Gill For Her Break Up
- Rohit Sharma Pokes Fun at Yuzvendra Chahal's Shirtless Picture
- Rohit Sharma Hilariously Trolls Yuzvendra 'The Rock' Chahal With Viral Tattoo Meme